September 15, 2008

One book down, many more to go

Okay, I admit it. I have neglected my blog for the last two weeks. Purposely.

*wince*

*eye peep*

What? No, retribution? Oh blogworld, how I love your forgiving spirit! (Wait. Is it possible for the collective group of blog readers, i.e. "blogworld", to have spirit? Hmmmm...something to ponder at a later date....hahaha! RANDOM!)

Really, I have had a ton on my plate and blogging, as much as I love it, has to be sacrificed when more important activities come along. Namely, finding a fiction book that I really enjoy and devouring it.

I occasionally forget how much I love to read an entertaining fiction piece here and there. My most recent conquest is none other than THE ROAD by Cormac McCarthy. This book is actually first on my list of books to read soon. I've added a few books to the list since that blog post (The Grapes of Wrath, The Awakening, Blindness, Pride and Prejudice) but I'm confident this will not derail me too severely. Plus, Death By Love and Spectacular Sins have not been released yet, so I'm free to stick to my fiction fancy at this time.

You must read THE ROAD. It's a quick 241 pages with a unique format. The book has no defined chapters, only breaks that are only separated by random dots (..........). It was a page-turner for me, not because it was thrilling or mysterious, but because of the enduring story line. What is going to happen to the Man and the Boy next? What caused the world to change? Will it ever go back to what we consider "normal"? Will the Man and Boy survive?

Warning: the story is dark. If you are prone to put limits on the depth of depravity, be warned that this story has some really dark moments. I don't want to suggest you reading it and then find out you stayed up at all hours of the night because of the images in your head. It is fiction. Period.

Okay, moving on. There is not much more I can say without giving away too much. Read the book.

Next up on my list is undecided. The same co-worker who brought up THE ROAD said I would enjoy Blindness since I liked his first recommendation. I started to read Blindness and I'm not sure I'm into it yet. I'll give it another 20 pages or so. If it doesn't work out, I'm moving on to The Grapes of Wrath. I've read this classic before but not when I had the same world view. We'll see how it works out. If anything, I can move onto Pride and Prejudice, a book I know that I will enjoy.

Well, I guess that's all for now, blogworld. Asta minana!

OH!!! ALSO - DON'T MISS THE COWBOYS TONIGHT!!!

No comments: