June 11, 2008

Check it out if you get a chance

I've heard it preached and read it countless times, but never have I heard anyone convey the depth of Psalm 51 like John Piper did this last Sunday at his church. Please check it out when you get a chance.

I also wanted to include an excerpt that Mr. Piper uses at the end; it's from Religious Affections by Johnathan Edwards:

All gracious affections [feelings, emotions] that are a sweet [aroma] to Christ . . . are brokenhearted affections. A truly Christian love, either to God or men, is a humble brokenhearted love. The desires of the saints, however earnest, are humble desires: their hope is a humble hope; and their joy, even when it is unspeakable, and full of glory, is a humble brokenhearted joy. . . .

I've spent a lot of time, though not nearly as much or as devoted as I'd like, in prayer to God, pleading for understanding or a change in my spirit. Whatever it will take to be right with Him, though my flesh would appreciate the easiest way possible. It's been a rough few months. I am guilty of attempting to control my sin and my life and allow Him to touch only certain parts. If you're like me, though, you eventually realize that this can't go on forever and you lose control. It's not a good thing when you feel out of control if that's your vice. Needless to say, I believe lies that God cannot use the darkness or the brokenness of my life for His good (though He clearly says He will). Since I don't understand how He can use it, I then think He must not be able to do so which is ludicrous. Anyway, this sermon from Piper moved me. He called me out in this lie and my empathy towards my sin.

I hope you'll check it out. Don't give up half-way though. It's a Sunday sermon, so it's long but well worth it.

Peace.

No comments: