October 2, 2011

What a difference a year can make...

It wasn't but just over one year ago this month, I decided that it was time for a major change in that way that I ate, drank, stayed active, looked, etc. Inspired and encouraged by a few brave friends, I began the hard and long (thought it doesn't feel like it) process of shedding about 90-100lbs. I'm only half way done now but I can already look back in amazement at how out of control I had become.

It's a complicated battle...losing weight. Anyone who says that it's merely a physical, outward issue does not have their head screwed on right. There is no way I can combat my weight without digging down deep to figure out how I got so big in the first place. Lots of bad habits, plenty of negligence and ignorance, too much self-pity and pride...they all contributed to the problem.

I won't give you all the secrets to getting yourself together - if you're using the computer right now and watch TV at least every once in awhile, you know what steps you need to take to get it together. Instead, I'll just say this - love yourself enough to take care of yourself. It's not about physical looks, it's not about being a certain weight, it's not about being able to shop wherever you want - those are all nice and wonderful in their own way. It's about doing what is right and good and holy for your body. Stop making excuses and move. You'll never regret it, even when you're cursing Jillian Michaels/your trainer/the salad bar/the scale.

I'm only half way there but it doesn't feel that way. It feels like I've already won my life back. Now, time to move....

(Left: "before" in August 2009 / Right: "half way done" in September 2011 / approx. 55-60lbs gone!)

No comments: