July 14, 2009

My steps to stupid

I was busy laughing my head off a few minutes ago while reading SCL (#576, in particular, had me giggly) when I got to one of Jon's serious Wednesday posts. Jon is a great writer - he has the unique ability to write the way that people think. Or, maybe, he writes the way that I think. I don't know. But in either case, I am never surprised when I stumble across a post that reminds me of my own mindset or behavior.

That's why, when I stopped laughing and started reflecting on #566, I realized I needed to post about the message. In not so many words, he wrote about "steps to stupid" or things that are indicative of a wayward attitude. He reminded me of the recent tugging on my conscience to be mindful of what I'm doing with my time. My pastor has talked about this same thing before on one of the church blogs; the things that do not stir affection for Christ. So, here you go - I'm going to mention some things that can easily be defined, when indulged in, as my "steps to stupid".

1. Mindless TV watching
2. Overeating
3. Excessive isolation
4. Movies/TV/books with dramatic romance
5. Missing church services
6. More than 2 drinks at happy hour
7. Idle conversation
8. Gossip - anywhere (work, home, church, etc)
9. Fantasyland
10. Comparing myself to others

I admit that there are both basic (i.e. applicable for all Christians) and personal (i.e. applicable for just me as far as I know) items on this list. Some are universal thieves of affection for Christ; others are definitely true for me but not necessarily everyone. I won't spend time categorizing the items because, honestly, I don't know your heart and I've been a part of some disagreements on this topic. This verse always comes to mind when I reflect on this topic:

Philippians 4:8 - "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."

I put my actions, thoughts, words, motivations, choices, plans - everything - up against this verse. If I cannot say with a pure heart that what I will do/have done lines up with this verse, then it goes onto my "steps to stupid" list. "Stupid" is a bad, lonely, sad, angry place to be. I want to avoid it like the plague. More than even that, though, I want to pay very careful attention to these things, and others yet to be revealed, so that my affection is stirred for Christ, not squashed. He is my goal, He is my treasure; in Him I live and move and have my being - not in a list of goods and bads - just Him.

Look for my next post where I lay out a few things that stir my affections for Christ.

Until next time,
Ang

No comments: